A prize presentation for 59th National Inter-School Team Chess Championships (4-5 September 2018) will be held in school on Wednesday, November 14. All prize-winners (national and zonal) are kindly reminded to wear the chess club attire for that day, bring along their medals and trophies for the presentation and meet our teachers at the Meeting Point at 7:10 am on that day.
NYPS Chess Club offers our players interested to take part in the 35th National Age-Group Chess Championships a set of supplementary training sessions. All pupils participating in this event are invited to join these sessions, if available and interested. The training starts off this week and continues throughout the first week of the November holidays. The training dates and timings:
12 October (Friday), 2:00 – 4:00 pm
19 October (Friday), 2:00 – 4:00 pm
2 November (Friday), 2:00 – 4:00 pm
8 November (Thursday), 2:00 – 4:00 pm
9 November (Friday), 2:00 – 4:00 pm
20 November (Tuesday), 9:00 am – 11:00 am
21 November (Wednesday), 9:00 am – 11:00 am
22 November (Thursday), 9:00 am – 11:00 am
The venue for these training sessions: Class 1D (KRC).
Updated: November 1, 2018.
Please note that the prize presentation initially scheduled for 17 September 2018 has been postponed to Week 10 for all CCAs (chess included). Consequently, there will not be a prize presentation for our chess club members on Monday, 17 September. We shall update you in due course on this blog.
At the end of the 59th National Inter-School Team Chess Championships (4-5 September 2018), Nanyang Primary School won 6 top prizes at the national level: 1 Gold (Open), 3 Silver (Open U9, Girls U9, Open Girls) and 2 Bronze (Open U9 and Girls U11). Our school also won 5 Gold medals and 4 Silver medals as West Zone prizes. Congratulations to all prize winners! Our chess club wishes to thank all participating Nanyang players, their parents and teachers for their full support during this competition.
A prize presentation will be held in school on September 17. All prize-winners (national and zonal) are kindly reminded to wear the chess club attire for that day, bring along their medals and trophies for the presentation and meet our teachers at the Meeting Point at 7:10 am on that day.
All Nanyang players selected to play in the 59th National Inter-School Team Chess Championships (NISTCC) on 4 or 5 September 2018 are reminded of the following:
- NYPS Chess Club will provide a school bus to the competition venue on both days; please be aware that the bus will leave at 8:45 a.m. sharp; please be at the Meeting Point in NYPS no later than 8:30 a.m.; we do not provide a school bus back to school so please do make arrangements for private transportation at the end of the event.
- NYPS Chess Club will order and secure lunch for all Nanyang participants on both days
- Attire: the blue chess club t-shirt (with khaki pants for boys and white skirt for girls) and proper footwear; during the last training session (Thu, 30 August), the club will have on sale the remaining club t-shirts (5$ per piece, mainly smaller sizes left for Lower Primary pupils). A new batch of brand new t-shirts of all sizes will arrive only early next year thus we advise all to use the old t-shirts for now. In case the t-shirt is not usable, please wear the official Nanyang school uniform on that day.
- Resting area: once we reach the venue, please gather at our resting area (to be secured by teachers) and return there between games for resting and post-game briefings.
- Team captains: all team captains will be briefed on 30 August during the last training session
- Team line-ups and pairings: the official lines-ups can be now consulted online (links below); please check below and email us if corrections are necessary.
The 59th National Inter-School Team Chess Championships will be held on 4 and 5 September 2018 at Northland Primary. On behalf of the NYPS Chess Club we are pleased to announce the selected team members for this year’s championship. In addition to those already selected (see section A of the PDF document below), on 23 August there’s a selection trial for a few extra invited players:
All selected players are requested to attend three training sessions (Classroom 1D):
27 August, Monday: 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm (Session 1)
28 August, Tuesday: 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm (Session 2)
30 August, Thursday: 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm (Session 3)
Reminder: If any of the selected players is unable to take part in the National Inter-School Team event on 4 and 5 September, please notify us immediately via email@example.com so we can seek a replacement.
Update (August 23): The results of the extra selection trials sessions are available below.
On 21 July 2108, the 12th Nanyang Chess Challenge 2018 gathered 267 players for all three trials (International Chess, Weiqi and XiangQi) from 40 primary schools. The International Chess section featured 174 players. The Upper Primary section was won by Ng Sheng Feng (Nanyang Primary) and the Lower Primary section was won by Goh Zi Han (Maris Stella High School Primary). The NYPS Chess Club wishes to congratulate all participating players, teachers, parents and our school staff for their efforts.
We thank all interested players who signed up for the 12th Nanyang Chess Challenge (21 July).
Some important reminders are listed below:
- reporting time for the tournament: 8:00-8:15 am (School Hall, Level 3)
- attire: NYPS chess club t-shirt (with khaki pants for boys and white skirt for girls); proper footwear
- non-NYPS pupils are recommended to wear school attire or their official chess club t-shirt
- drink and snacks canteen stalls will be open for lunch on 21 July (lunch time; Muslim stall included)
- consumption of food and drinks inside classrooms and playing hall is strictly forbidden
- parking lots inside the school are limited (first-come, first-served) and access is coordinated by our gate security staff
- the playing hall has air conditioning and available seats for parents/spectators
- the schedule for 21 July is posted below.
12th Nanyang Chess Challenge: Schedule of Rounds
|8:00 to 8:15||Arrival of players and confirmation of registration|
|8:15 to 8:30||Various remarks, welcoming speech and arbiter’s briefing|
|8:30 to 9:30||Round 1|
|9:30 to 10:30||Round 2|
|10:30 to 11:30||Round 3|
|11:30 to 12:30||Lunch Break|
|12:30 to 13:30||Round 4|
|13:30 to 14:30||Round 5|
|14:30 to 15:30||Round 6|
|15:30 to 16:30||Round 7|
|17:00 to 17:50||Prize Presentation and Group Photograph|
|17:55||Departure (school close at 18:00)|
All participants in the 12th Nanyang Chess Challenge (21 July 2018) are recommended to check the entries for International Chess in the Excel document below (Lower and Upper Primary). Corrections are to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org before 17th July. Entries for Weiqi and XiangQi will be posted here shortly as well.
12th NY Challenge Entries International Chess (Updated: 18 July)
Weiqi Section (Updated: 18 July)
NYPS Chess Club is pleased to invite all mind-sport fans in Nanyang Primary to take part in the 12th Nanyang Chess Challenge to be held on 21 July 2018. The event will feature three mind sports: International Chess, Weiqi and Chinese Chess. Interested Nanyang players are requested to register online using the registration form below. Non-Nanyang players are requested to use the registration form below (PDF) and email it to our teacher-in-charge. The deadline for registration is 5 July 2018.
Update (12 July 2018): The registration for this event is now closed. Starting lists will be uploaded here on July 13.