The 59th National Inter-School Team Chess Championships will be held on 4 and 5 September 2018 at Northland Primary. On behalf of the NYPS Chess Club we are pleased to announce the selected team members for this year’s championship. In addition to those already selected (see section A of the PDF document below), on 23 August there’s a selection trial for a few extra invited players:
Selected NYPS Team Players
All selected players are requested to attend three training sessions as follows:
27 August, Monday: 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm (Session 1)
28 August, Tuesday: 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm (Session 2)
30 August, Thursday: 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm (Session 3)
Reminder: If any of the selected players is unable to take part in the National Inter-School Team event on 4 and 5 September, please notify us immediately via firstname.lastname@example.org so we can seek a replacement.
On 21 July 2108, the 12th Nanyang Chess Challenge 2018 gathered 267 players for all three trials (International Chess, Weiqi and XiangQi) from 40 primary schools. The International Chess section featured 174 players. The Upper Primary section was won by Ng Sheng Feng (Nanyang Primary) and the Lower Primary section was won by Goh Zi Han (Maris Stella High School Primary). The NYPS Chess Club wishes to congratulate all participating players, teachers, parents and our school staff for their efforts.
Upper Primary – Final results
Lower Primary – Final results
We thank all interested players who signed up for the 12th Nanyang Chess Challenge (21 July).
Some important reminders are listed below:
- reporting time for the tournament: 8:00-8:15 am (School Hall, Level 3)
- attire: NYPS chess club t-shirt (with khaki pants for boys and white skirt for girls); proper footwear
- non-NYPS pupils are recommended to wear school attire or their official chess club t-shirt
- drink and snacks canteen stalls will be open for lunch on 21 July (lunch time; Muslim stall included)
- consumption of food and drinks inside classrooms and playing hall is strictly forbidden
- parking lots inside the school are limited (first-come, first-served) and access is coordinated by our gate security staff
- the playing hall has air conditioning and available seats for parents/spectators
- the schedule for 21 July is posted below.
12th Nanyang Chess Challenge: Schedule of Rounds
|8:00 to 8:15
||Arrival of players and confirmation of registration
|8:15 to 8:30
||Various remarks, welcoming speech and arbiter’s briefing
|8:30 to 9:30
|9:30 to 10:30
|10:30 to 11:30
|11:30 to 12:30
|12:30 to 13:30
|13:30 to 14:30
|14:30 to 15:30
|15:30 to 16:30
|17:00 to 17:50
||Prize Presentation and Group Photograph
||Departure (school close at 18:00)
All participants in the 12th Nanyang Chess Challenge (21 July 2018) are recommended to check the entries for International Chess in the Excel document below (Lower and Upper Primary). Corrections are to be emailed to email@example.com before 17th July. Entries for Weiqi and XiangQi will be posted here shortly as well.
12th NY Challenge Entries International Chess (Updated: 18 July)
Weiqi Section (Updated: 18 July)
NYPS Chess Club is pleased to invite all mind-sport fans in Nanyang Primary to take part in the 12th Nanyang Chess Challenge to be held on 21 July 2018. The event will feature three mind sports: International Chess, Weiqi and Chinese Chess. Interested Nanyang players are requested to register online using the registration form below. Non-Nanyang players are requested to use the registration form below (PDF) and email it to our teacher-in-charge. The deadline for registration is 5 July 2018.
Invitation to Nanyang Players
Update (12 July 2018): The registration for this event is now closed. Starting lists will be uploaded here on July 13.
Nanyang Primary School Chess Club wishes to congratulate all our Nanyang players who took part in the 70th National School Individual Chess Championships (Singapore Expo, 13-14 March 2018). Overall, our pupils won three gold medals and national champion titles (Ng Sheng Feng – Senior Boys, Haw Zi Xuan – Senior Girls, and Leah Rice – Lower Junior Girls), one silver medal (Sun Shilian – Junior Girls) and three bronze medals (Gabriel Wei – Senior Boys, Lauren Rice – Senior Girls, and Aleenta Quek – Junior Girls). Additionally, NYPS won multiple top-10 positions and top West zone prizes. We thank all our participating pupils, parent volunteers and CCA teachers present throughout the competition.
All Nanyang Primary School pupils heading to play in the 70th National School Individual Chess Championships 2018 (13 and 14 March 2018) are kindly reminded of the following:
- Competition dates: 13 and 14 March (two-day event)
- Venue: 1 Expo Drive, MAX ATRIA@Singapore Expo, Garnet & Topaz, Room 212-Room 225, Singapore 486150
- Starting time: 10:00 am; Please be there no later than 9:15 am
- All participants are required to bring their Student ID for verification purposes
- Attire: NYPS Chess Club T-Shirt or school attire and footwear (khaki shorts for boys and white skirt for girls)
- System of play: 9 rounds; 15-minute + 10 seconds increment per player
- All players to read carefully the “Code of Conduct” and safety information available here
- Please check the starting lists and email corrections to the Singapore Chess Federation
- Our school will not provide transportation or lunch for this individual event. Please make the necessary arrangements
- All our CCA teachers will be present throughout the competition. Please do approach them immediately if you need assistance or advice.
NYPS Chess Club’s CCA activities will start on 4 and 5 January 2018 (Thursday and Friday, 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm). All our CCA members are strongly encouraged to attend one of these sessions in order to be briefed on this year’s CCA plans and activities.
On Monday, 25 September, there will be a prize-giving ceremony for the NYPS prize-winners in the 58th National Inter-School Team Chess Championships. All prize-winners (National and West Zone-level) are kindly reminded to wear the Chess Club t-shirt and bring along their trophies and medals on that day. We shall assemble at the Meeting Point at 7:00 am for our final preparations before the ceremony commences.
During the recently concluded 58th National Inter-School Team Chess Championships, Nanyang Primary School won five top-3 national-level medals (1 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze) and the “Best Primary School” award given out by the Singapore Chess Federation to the best performing school. Nanyang has won this award for the fifth consecutive time (eight times overall since 2009). NYPS Chess Club wishes to send out a genuine note of thanks to all our CCA members, selected team players, parents and parent volunteers, teachers and school staff for their excellent effort and overall performance.