NYPS Chess Club is pleased to invite all mind-sport fans in Nanyang Primary to take part in the 12th Nanyang Chess Challenge to be held on 21 July 2018. The event will feature three mind sports: International Chess, Weiqi and Chinese Chess. Interested Nanyang players are requested to register online using the registration form below. Non-Nanyang players are requested to use the registration form below (PDF) and email it to our teacher-in-charge. The deadline for registration is 5 July 2018.
Invitation to Nanyang Players
Registration form for Non-NYPS Players
Online Registration Form for Nanyang Players:
Nanyang Primary School Chess Club wishes to congratulate all our Nanyang players who took part in the 70th National School Individual Chess Championships (Singapore Expo, 13-14 March 2018). Overall, our pupils won three gold medals and national champion titles (Ng Sheng Feng – Senior Boys, Haw Zi Xuan – Senior Girls, and Leah Rice – Lower Junior Girls), one silver medal (Sun Shilian – Junior Girls) and three bronze medals (Gabriel Wei – Senior Boys, Lauren Rice – Senior Girls, and Aleenta Quek – Junior Girls). Additionally, NYPS won multiple top-10 positions and top West zone prizes. We thank all our participating pupils, parent volunteers and CCA teachers present throughout the competition.
All Nanyang Primary School pupils heading to play in the 70th National School Individual Chess Championships 2018 (13 and 14 March 2018) are kindly reminded of the following:
- Competition dates: 13 and 14 March (two-day event)
- Venue: 1 Expo Drive, MAX ATRIA@Singapore Expo, Garnet & Topaz, Room 212-Room 225, Singapore 486150
- Starting time: 10:00 am; Please be there no later than 9:15 am
- All participants are required to bring their Student ID for verification purposes
- Attire: NYPS Chess Club T-Shirt or school attire and footwear (khaki shorts for boys and white skirt for girls)
- System of play: 9 rounds; 15-minute + 10 seconds increment per player
- All players to read carefully the “Code of Conduct” and safety information available here
- Please check the starting lists and email corrections to the Singapore Chess Federation
- Our school will not provide transportation or lunch for this individual event. Please make the necessary arrangements
- All our CCA teachers will be present throughout the competition. Please do approach them immediately if you need assistance or advice.
NYPS Chess Club’s CCA activities will start on 4 and 5 January 2018 (Thursday and Friday, 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm). All our CCA members are strongly encouraged to attend one of these sessions in order to be briefed on this year’s CCA plans and activities.
On Monday, 25 September, there will be a prize-giving ceremony for the NYPS prize-winners in the 58th National Inter-School Team Chess Championships. All prize-winners (National and West Zone-level) are kindly reminded to wear the Chess Club t-shirt and bring along their trophies and medals on that day. We shall assemble at the Meeting Point at 7:00 am for our final preparations before the ceremony commences.
During the recently concluded 58th National Inter-School Team Chess Championships, Nanyang Primary School won five top-3 national-level medals (1 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze) and the “Best Primary School” award given out by the Singapore Chess Federation to the best performing school. Nanyang has won this award for the fifth consecutive time (eight times overall since 2009). NYPS Chess Club wishes to send out a genuine note of thanks to all our CCA members, selected team players, parents and parent volunteers, teachers and school staff for their excellent effort and overall performance.
NYPS Chess Club announces herewith its lists of selected team players for the 58th National Inter-School Team Chess Championship (4 September 2017). The Excel document below contains name lists for boys and girls. Actual team composition and board order will be shared with our selected players during the training sessions and briefings. They will be given printouts with their team line-ups and exact board order.
Selected Team Players 2017 (Excel Document)
- All players are requested to attend the two training sessions/briefings on 24 and 25 August 2017 (Thursday and Friday, 2:00 pm to 3:45 pm, Class 1E)
- Please read carefully the rules and regulations for this event (there are several notable changes compared to past editions)
- NYPS will NOT provide transportation for this competition
- NYPS will provide lunch for all our players: there’s a 5-choice menu available via SCF event page. Please send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your lunch preference and our teachers will take care of your meal. You can also let us know your lunch preference on 25 and 26 August (training sessions).
- all Nanyang participants are required to wear proper attire (khaki shorts/white skirt and chess club t-shirt) and school footwear
- All players to bring along the Student Concession Card and display the card in the school compound at all time
- The venue for this competition: Overseas Family School (Pasir Ris Campus), 81 Pasir Ris Heights, Singapore 519292
- Reporting time: the first round will start at 9:30 am on 4 September. Please be present at the venue no later than 9:15 am.
In view of the forthcoming 58th National Inter-School Team Chess Championships (4 September), NYPS Chess Club will run another round of team selection trials for Lower Primary pupils (P1-P3). Those with sufficient tournament experience and proficiency are invited to join the trials on 11 August (Friday, 2:00 pm to 3:45 pm, Class 2F). The trials will consist of a written assessment (puzzle solving) and trial games (15 minutes + 10-second increment per player).
The 11th Nanyang Chess Challenge was held on 22 July 2017. This year’s edition once again included Go (weiqi) and Chinese Chess (xiangqi) tournaments. 158 players from over 25 primary schools took part in the chess challenge. Nanyang Primary’s Ng Sheng Feng won the Upper Primary category (7/7) and Kapoor Satvik (Guangyang Primary School) won the Lower Primary section (6.5/7). Our Nanyang Primary Chess Club wishes to thank all our teachers, our school’s Principal and Vice-Principals, parents, club members and guests for contributing to this year’s edition.
Upper Primary Category
Lower Primary Category
We thank all interested players who signed up both for the simultaneous exhibition (21 July) and the 11th Nanyang Chess Challenge (22 July). Below please find links to the starting lists (corrections should be sent to email@example.com). Other important reminders are listed below:
Upper Primary Starting List (Chess)
Lower Primary Starting List (Chess)
Notes and reminders:
- the simultaneous exhibition starts at 2:00 pm in the School Hall (Level 3) and ends by 5:30 pm (21 July)
- reporting time for the 11th Nanyang Chess Challenge: 8:00-8:15 am (School Hall)
- attire for both events: NYPS chess club t-shirt (with khaki pants for boys and white skirt for girls); proper footwear
- non-NYPS pupils are recommended to wear school attire or their official chess club t-shirt
- drink and snacks canteen stalls will be open for lunch on 22 July (lunch time; Muslim stall included)
- consumption of food and drinks inside classrooms and playing hall is strictly forbidden
- parking lots inside the school are limited (first-come, first-served) and access is coordinated by our gate security staff
- the playing hall has air conditioning and available seats for parents/spectators
- the schedule for 22 July is posted below (subjected to slight changes during the event)
11th Nanyang Chess Challenge: Schedule of Rounds
||Arrival of players and confirmation of registration
||Various remarks, welcoming speech and arbiter’s briefing
||Prize Presentation and Group Photograph