All Nanyang pupils interested to take part in the 71st National Schools Individual Chess Championships (19-22 March 2019) are encouraged to register directly with the Singapore Chess Federation. The competition is open to all interested pupils regardless of level or experience.
Between 27 and 30 December 2018, elite Nanyang Chess Club players took part in Singapore’s 35th National Age-Group Chess Championships, a classical chess competition gathering 586 pupils and students from 12 countries. Our Nanyang pupils won seven top medals (3 Gold, 2 Silver, 2 Bronze) at their respective age categories: Alyssa Tan (Bronze, Girls U8), Aleenta Quek (Gold, Girls U9), Sun Shilian (Bronze, Girls U10), Rice Lauren (Gold, Girls U11), Haw Zi Xuan (Silver, Girls U12); Liew Tze Hsien (Silver, Boys U8), Ng Sheng Feng (Gold, Boys U12).
Many other top Nanyang pupils finished in the top 10: Giselle Ong (5th, Girls U8), Rice Leah (6th, Girls U8), Vanessa Choy (7th, Girls U9), Avril Lim (10th, Girls U9), Liew Tze Chi (6th, Girls U10), Valerie Loo (4th, Girls U11), Mischa Neo (6th, Girls U11), Zou Qixuan (7th, Girls U11); Marcel Neo (6th, Boys U9) and Gabriel Wei (4th, Boys U11).
Our Club wishes to congratulate all our players, parents and school teachers.
Beginning with 2019, in addition to the CCA sessions on Thursday and Friday, the NYPS Chess Club offers a regular training session on Tuesdays for members of the 2018 school teams. The key details are offered below:
Venue: Classroom 1D (Level 2, KRC)
Training Dates (Term 1/2019): 15, 22, 29 January; 12, 19, 26 February; 5, 12, 26 March.
Timing: 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Please note that the CCA will restart on 10 and 11 January.
A prize presentation for 59th National Inter-School Team Chess Championships (4-5 September 2018) will be held in school on Wednesday, November 14. All prize-winners (national and zonal) are kindly reminded to wear the chess club attire for that day, bring along their medals and trophies for the presentation and meet our teachers at the Meeting Point at 7:10 am on that day.
NYPS Chess Club offers our players interested to take part in the 35th National Age-Group Chess Championships a set of supplementary training sessions. All pupils participating in this event are invited to join these sessions, if available and interested. The training starts off this week and continues throughout the first week of the November holidays. The training dates and timings:
12 October (Friday), 2:00 – 4:00 pm
19 October (Friday), 2:00 – 4:00 pm
2 November (Friday), 2:00 – 4:00 pm
8 November (Thursday), 2:00 – 4:00 pm
9 November (Friday), 2:00 – 4:00 pm
20 November (Tuesday), 9:00 am – 11:00 am
21 November (Wednesday), 9:00 am – 11:00 am
22 November (Thursday), 9:00 am – 11:00 am
The venue for these training sessions: Class 1D (KRC).
Updated: November 1, 2018.
Please note that the prize presentation initially scheduled for 17 September 2018 has been postponed to Week 10 for all CCAs (chess included). Consequently, there will not be a prize presentation for our chess club members on Monday, 17 September. We shall update you in due course on this blog.
At the end of the 59th National Inter-School Team Chess Championships (4-5 September 2018), Nanyang Primary School won 6 top prizes at the national level: 1 Gold (Open), 3 Silver (Open U9, Girls U9, Open Girls) and 2 Bronze (Open U9 and Girls U11). Our school also won 5 Gold medals and 4 Silver medals as West Zone prizes. Congratulations to all prize winners! Our chess club wishes to thank all participating Nanyang players, their parents and teachers for their full support during this competition.
A prize presentation will be held in school on September 17. All prize-winners (national and zonal) are kindly reminded to wear the chess club attire for that day, bring along their medals and trophies for the presentation and meet our teachers at the Meeting Point at 7:10 am on that day.
All Nanyang players selected to play in the 59th National Inter-School Team Chess Championships (NISTCC) on 4 or 5 September 2018 are reminded of the following:
- NYPS Chess Club will provide a school bus to the competition venue on both days; please be aware that the bus will leave at 8:45 a.m. sharp; please be at the Meeting Point in NYPS no later than 8:30 a.m.; we do not provide a school bus back to school so please do make arrangements for private transportation at the end of the event.
- NYPS Chess Club will order and secure lunch for all Nanyang participants on both days
- Attire: the blue chess club t-shirt (with khaki pants for boys and white skirt for girls) and proper footwear; during the last training session (Thu, 30 August), the club will have on sale the remaining club t-shirts (5$ per piece, mainly smaller sizes left for Lower Primary pupils). A new batch of brand new t-shirts of all sizes will arrive only early next year thus we advise all to use the old t-shirts for now. In case the t-shirt is not usable, please wear the official Nanyang school uniform on that day.
- Resting area: once we reach the venue, please gather at our resting area (to be secured by teachers) and return there between games for resting and post-game briefings.
- Team captains: all team captains will be briefed on 30 August during the last training session
- Team line-ups and pairings: the official lines-ups can be now consulted online (links below); please check below and email us if corrections are necessary.
The 59th National Inter-School Team Chess Championships will be held on 4 and 5 September 2018 at Northland Primary. On behalf of the NYPS Chess Club we are pleased to announce the selected team members for this year’s championship. In addition to those already selected (see section A of the PDF document below), on 23 August there’s a selection trial for a few extra invited players:
All selected players are requested to attend three training sessions (Classroom 1D):
27 August, Monday: 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm (Session 1)
28 August, Tuesday: 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm (Session 2)
30 August, Thursday: 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm (Session 3)
Reminder: If any of the selected players is unable to take part in the National Inter-School Team event on 4 and 5 September, please notify us immediately via firstname.lastname@example.org so we can seek a replacement.
Update (August 23): The results of the extra selection trials sessions are available below.